Sunday, February 15, 2009

Move over Cupid!

I have survived another year of Valentine's Day mayhem in one piece. Not too shabby. Actually, I quite enjoyed myself. True, I did make it a point not to go out into the fray or watch any mushy TV, but I figured that was for emotional insurance purposes. My roommate was out of town visiting her fiancĂ© - which I don't hold against her, because when I have a fiance we'd better be spending time together on Valentine's Day.  So, fair's fair. 

Recently, I've been enjoying a refreshed perspective on being single. I'm sure this new outlook played a role in making this February 14th so pleasant and relaxing. At this point after my big move, it's very important to me to establish my own life. I want my own friends, my own activities and commitments. Developing a support network of my own will make me better grounded and better equipped to venture out into the Bostonian dating scene. I'm not saying if a cute guy asked me out I would turn him down on these grounds, but I am appreciating the time to myself to develop my own network and routine. So often I have seen people get sucked into a relationship and lose their sense of themselves. To put it mildly, that's not really what I'm looking for. I feel like I have only just found myself, I would hate to lose that sense of identity. No, I didn't phrase that right. I would be so angry with myself if I gave up that new-found sense of self so easily. 

So in the meantime, I'm taking advantage of some quality me-time. My free time, no longer stretched to the limits with homework and school commitments, is now available pursue hobbies that have long be pushed aside. I can actually cook a nice meal, do yoga to my heart's content, or brush up on my Bach. And if I get sick of that, I can call up a friend and explore this amazing city. Pretty good deal if you ask me. So Happy Valentine's day to me!