Friday, May 21, 2010

Taking stock

So it has been a momentous week for me. Wednesday was my last day of work. Yesterday was my first time shadowing a woman in my future profession. And today is the day I move out of Boston. So many good-byes and thank-yous to be said. Leaving work was harder than I imagined it would be. They got me ice cream cake. Ice cream cake is my favorite. I don't think they knew that, but still. When I got home, after a thoughtful final commute, I found that my coworker had written on my facebook wall, "Walk out that door and DON'T LOOK BACK!" Cheers to him for helping me keep things in perspective. I didn't want to be there. That's the whole point of this!

Yesterday's job shadow went really well. The SLP I shadowed works with pre-school children with special needs - feeding disorders, speech, articulation and language issues. It really was interesting all the different kinds of cases she works with. I don't know if I could do the pre-school thing on a daily basis, but I will admit the kids were pretty damn cute. I used to not be a kid person, and I still think of myself that way, but the more time I spend with them the more I like them. Which freaks me out.

And today we're packing up the van, loading up the kitty and heading back to CT. I've never been attached to a place I've lived in before. My homes growing up I didn't pick myself. I just ended up there with my family so there wasn't a feeling of ownership associated with them. My apartments in college were just holes, or maybe I should call them "learning experiences". But my place here, the sanctuary of gorgeousness; I'm really going to miss it. I think I've mentally turned it into a metaphor for my life here. The freedom, the flexibility, the social life, the cozy nights in with friends, my first Thanksgiving turkey...

Sad as I am, I think the more appropriate word is appreciative. When major life chapters wrap up, you're forced to take stock of what you have, in both a physical (literal) and emotional way. I have been blessed with opportunities here, with the memorable experiences here, and most importantly with the people here. So from the bottom of my heart, a sincere thank you to JV, LD, LR, KNB, MS, and - obviously - RP. You guys are amazing and without you this experience wouldn't have meant what it does to me.

No comments: