Monday, November 10, 2008

All dressed up and nowhere to go


As you're probably aware, I'm currently faced with the oh-so-pleasant and encouraging task of job-hunting in this horrendous employment market. While it's nothing an eager, hopeful, bright-eyed college grad shouldn't be capable of managing, it is a tad wearisome.  

In light of these circumstances, I received an early Christmas present last week. My mother took me shopping for an interview suit and work clothes (this included shoes!). When the standard shopping locations failed to prove fruitful, we moved on to uncharted territory for me: Talbots. Holy crap - what was I doing in a Talbots? My grandmother used to swear by this brand - so why did I suddenly find myself there with an armload of clothes? Well, when I started trying them on, I understood.

Black suit, cherry striped button down shirt, black pumps. I looked sharp, sexy even. Hello business chic! Hello Talbots! And I felt powerful. In this suit, I don't need to settle. I can take my pick from any non-sales, non-IT, non-finance, entry-level position in the Boston area that suits my fancy (badump-bump-tish!) Yeah, well, as you might imagine that isn't as easy as it sounds. 

But at least now I feel prepared. If, and when, I get an interview, I'm gonna knock-'em dead before they even ask the first question. It's all about getting that red, suede pump clad foot in the door. And I'm ready. Just as soon as anyone wants to give me a chance. 

Hello? Anybody out there? Yeah, no, ok - well, I'll be here. And my Talbots suit is awaiting it's debut.

2 comments:

California Party Girl said...

Oooooh, how fun! I love shopping for clothes, for business and for fun! Lucky you. Bet you look sharp!

Baileywyck said...

But now you DO have someplace to go!! Time to blog about that.