Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yes We Can


Just a quick note to commemorate today's momentous events. 

Having lived outside the US for the better part of four years, I had come to feel like my nationality was no longer a large part of my identity. But, over the past few months, the energy and enthusiasm that has been building around this election has swept me up and welcomed me back, no questions asked. In a way, it's a relief to be home, but now even more so, to be in a country that promises a brighter future at home and abroad. 

My right to be a part of this moment is a privilege that I share proudly with my fellow Americans. My voice, your voice, we comprise the voice of a nation. Our opinion is recognized, and more importantly, it makes a difference. We have influenced the course of history on a monumental scale. Tonight, more than ever, I am proud to be an American.

Hip hip HOORAY!

2 comments:

Baileywyck said...

Feels pretty good, doesn't it? Guess the only question now is, what are you going to do to help him?
;-)

JHWellington said...

Unfortunately, I don't feel as if my voice is heard. Because I live in the heavily democratic state of NY, my vote doesn't really count, No matter what I do to inspire my family, friend and neighbors to vote Republican, NY will always pledge it's 31 votes to the democrats.

I wish we could abolish the electoral college and go with a popular vote.

Don't let this take away from your pride in being an American -- I agree with you. Even with it's flaws, I prefer our system to any other.