Thursday, October 23, 2008

People Watching

People fascinate me. They do funny things. I needed to get out of the house, so I packed up my computer and drove downtown for a cup of coffee and a little visit to the outside world. The vehicle behind me for most of the ride was a large utility truck who's driver was a dead ringer for the Red Sox right fielder J.D. Drew. Every time I glanced in my rear view mirror, I could see him, with his sunglasses and red stubbly goatee bobbing up and down and singing enthusiastically. It made me laugh out loud. I also enjoy catching people picking their noses in the car. Hey Buddy - your car has windows on all four sides. I don't know why you think I can't see you. But actually, I wouldn't say anything even if I could. Why stop free entertainment? 

A few weeks ago, I hit the people-watching JACKPOT. I was walking my dog with a friend of mine down town, and we packed a picnic lunch. We stopped to eat at a beautiful fountain in the center of town. The fall weather was comfortable, and a gentle breeze swayed the yellowing leaves in the trees overhead. As we relaxed, we watched a young couple; the woman in a pretty, simple baby-yellow dress, the man in a full-on sailor uniform, complete with jaunty navy cap. They were quietly canoodling a few benches over from us, but stood up when a clean but sloppy looking man with a worn-out briefcase arrived on the scene. The three shook hands and exchanged a few pleasantries. 

Then Briefcase-guy arranged the couple in front of the fountain so that they were standing face-to-face, holding hands. He took out a small book, and ceremonially began reciting from it. Whooooaaa.... hold up! Is this what I think it is? Next thing I know, Briefcase-guy is asking the few of us around the fountain if we have any objections. For some reason he looked kindly, yet pointedly at me. Perhaps I was gawking a little too obviously? Then there were rings exchanged, a kiss, and photos taken with a bright yellow disposable camera. That's right - I was witness to an impromptu wedding. 

The couple left, the bride clumsily traipsing through the grass in stilettos, while the groom, 5 inches shorter, did his best to steady her. As quickly as it had begun, it was over. My friend and I looked at each other to verify that we hadn't imagined it. Nope, the wedding was real. Surreal, but real. I guess I'm going to have to wait a while before I have the pleasure of casually observing something as wonderful, and odd, as that again. But I'll savor all the little entertaining moments I spot in the mean time. 

P.S. I know people-watching goes both ways, and I wouldn't hold it against you if you catch me dancing in the car. 

No comments: