Thursday, October 16, 2008

Take the money and RUN

I have never been a fan of taking the cans to be recycled. Though the extra $9.50 is nice - yeah, I put it off as long as possible - you get all sticky, the awkward room off the grocery store always smells funny, and frequently, you encounter a few sketchy characters. When I went this morning, I breathed a sigh of relief when I found the place recently cleaned and empty of people. 

At about can number 600, my luck was about to change. I was joined by a tall, husky, unshaven man in his mid-forties, a bit like a chinless version of Robert from Everybody Loves Raymond. I got a dad-vibe from him, and didn't pay him much mind. On can number 620, he says to me, "You're almost as tall as I am." Ok, so he was being friendly, that doesn't bother me.
"Haha, I'm getting there," I responded with a smile.
"How old are you?"
"Hmm?" The question took me off guard - this was not headed where I thought it was...
"How old are you?" he asked again, awkwardly.
"Um, 22, so I guess I'm probably done growing anyway."
"Oh, I thought you were younger. Single?"Oh man, he did not just ask that! A recent SNL line floated through my mind: Really?! Are you serious?
"Yes, for the moment," I said.
"Yeah, you look it." Seriously? Seriously? Is that a pick-up line? "You look single." Am I supposed to be flattered? "Well, let me give you my number. 498-"
I cut him off, "Actually, I'm looking to get out of the area."
"Oh, relocating?"
"Mmhm, sorry." He turned and left quietly. 

I hate when that happens. It wasn't really as creepy as it sounds in the relaying, but it was horrendously awkward. I never like turning people down, but what's a girl supposed to do? Everybody needs a little reality check sometimes, and just a hint, you should probably not be asking out people who are half your age, despite what's portrayed in the daily media. I mean, if I tried that, I'd be dating 11 year old boys. Not cool.  Just not cool. 

And when did I start needing to be on guard against father figures?! That through me off. I'm not in Kansas any more, ladies and gentlemen. I'm in the land of the divorcĂ© looking to get back into the dating market, with delusional ideas about twenty-something women. I gotta get out of here. 

I cashed out and took my $9.30. I'll go buy my own drink thank you very much.

3 comments:

Baileywyck said...

Reminds me of the first time someone honked at me when I was walking down the street. I figured it must be someone I knew so I waved. They hung a U-ey in the road came back and hung out the window to chat me up. I was 14. Sorry kid, it's life in the big leagues.

JHWellington said...

Recycling room at the grocery store -- haven't tried there yet. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Cara Mia said...

Believe it or not, I actually intended this as more of a cautionary tale than a do-it-yourself article! haha