Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Where am I?


I feel like I've been living my life for the past couple days as an out of body experience. Time is just flying - each time I look up I feel a sense of surprise to find myself wherever I happen to be at the moment. Not surprised to realize, Oh I'm not in Connecticut but in Boston, or Oh I'm in my NEW apartment, or Oh I'm at my NEW job. It's more along the lines of discovering myself suddenly in the kitchen, or on the T, or standing in front of the photocopier, and wondering how I got there. And somehow, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not unsettled or unnerved, I just feel oddly removed from myself. 

I think another thing that is starting to dawn on me is that a huge sense of relief is emerging. Even though I spent much of the last 4 months sitting around without daily commitments, I was dealing with a lot of stress. Now that many of those issues have come full circle, and I am well on my way to making a life for myself, in a sense, I can relax. Certainly I aspire to work hard, do well at my job and carve out a social niche here, but at least now I can actually begin rather than just wait around, impatiently drumming my fingers. Relief comes with action. 

Now as soon as my head can catch up with my physical self, I can start enjoying this newfound sense of contentment.

3 comments:

Baileywyck said...

Jeepers! Based on the photo, maybe it's time to add "learn to play the piano" to your to-do list... ;-)

Cara Mia said...

Well, I don't really need to learn to play piano if my piano-playing neighbor happened to come downstairs, introduce herself and invite me to play with her and her cellist friend, now do I? ; )

Baileywyck said...

honestly -- you are so not living in the real world. You're in some fabulous alternate universe! Wish we could live there too!