Monday, November 2, 2009

A Practically Perfect Halloween

Oh Halloween, that day of mischief and mayhem. Generally I'm not a big fan of this particular holiday, but this year was different. For once I didn't have a half-assed costume. I wasn't a cat or a cowgirl - I was an actual recognizable character. As many of you know, Mary Poppins made  her debut this year. A few people have said, "of course you would be Mary Poppins" and I'll admit that it was not the most adventuresome costume.  I could have shown a little more skin, and probably will next year. But there is no debating that my costume was a hit.

For starters, we had a costume contest at work. The grand prize was an extra paid day off, which is nothing to sneeze at. So I figured it was worth a shot. As it turned out, only 4 people dressed up at all, and only 2 (myself included) put in any considerable effort. The other contender was a woman dressed as a scary old man with crazy gray hair and a cane. Much to her embarrassment, she realized once she got to work that her costume closely resembled another coworker of ours. Though it wasn't her original intention, everyone thought she dressed up as Norm. Because of the inside joke factor (and I think also the fact that she's been around longer) she got double the votes that I did. Bummer. 

Later that afternoon, the woman running the costume contest stopped by my cubicle. She informed me that they were awarding me an extra vacation day also just because I went all out. Sweet! Mary works her magic! I was a little disappointed that I didn't win outright, but hey I'm not picky when it comes to bonus vacay.

Halloween night, I re-donned my Mary ensemble (yes, she and I are on a first name basis now) and we went out on the town. People in the street cheered me and stopped to take pictures with me. At the bar people came over to our table specifically to say I was their favorite costume of the night. When we went for drunk food, people in line tried to get me to sing Spoonful of Sugar. You will be happy to know I was not so far gone as to acquiesce. 

All in all, I would say it was a success. I have already planned what I will do next year, but you will just have to wait and see. Cheerio 'til my next post! 

No comments: