Saturday, July 12, 2008

Capua/Caserta (aka middle of nowhere)

Hey Guys!
This is actually 2 emails Ive written pasted together, so bear with me!

Things here are fantastic. Pompeii was cooler than I possibly imagined. It was one of those things where when you first enter you are just blown away, but you're actually only on the outskirts of the city, so as you keep going, it gets even more amazing. Unbelievable. The artistry of that society blows my mind. I mean, I think of them as a primitive culture, but in their hey-day, these buildings would have been stunning. Murals on the wall, ornate tiling, mosaics, fountains, just blew my mind. We took tons of pictures, so you will get to see, I promise.

Yesterday we went to a beach on the Amalfi Coast. It was beautiful and the water was perfect. My friend Eva and I met a couple Italian boys (you knew it was bound to happen, lol). Guerino and Giuseppe must both be over 6 ft 2, pastry chefs and amateur soccer players. Haha, anyway, they're taking us for gelato tonight or tomorrow. 

Today we went kayaking along the Amalfi Coast. It was fantastic. We went to beaches that you could only reach by boat and our guide packed homemade tomato and basil sandwiches. He also picked us up in his jeep right from the hostel so we didn't need to pay for food or transportation. The whole expedition (from 8 this morning to 5 this evening) was only 25 euros. Pretty good, eh?? But we've had lots of sun 3 days in a row so we're going to take it easey tomorrow, and then we're off to somewhere new on Saturday.

There's a barbecue tonight with the other tutors and we are hopefully finding out where to next, and getting 60 euros each for our food expenditures this week. Sadly our good friend Chad is off to Rome tomorrow. He's a really good guy, and looks out for us girls. It will be sad to see him go.

So now I'm here in a tiny town near Capua and Caserta with two other tutors, Kate and Jonathan. So far they are really nice. We're staying with the camp director who is also really nice, and an excellent cook. Only downside is that she's really loopy. Like, we have conversations just riddled with non sequiturs on her part. It's entertaining though, and she has a really sweet dog, which I'm loving of course.

Today me and the other tutors went to Naples. We had true neapolitan pizza (which lives up to its reputation, let me tell you!) and we took a tour of the neapolitan underground, which is a series of cisterns that were part of the Greek and Roman aqueducts for the city. In WWII it was used as a bomb shelter. It was pretty cool.

My friend and I did manage to go out with Guerino and Giuseppe for gelato and a tour of their home town. It was fun, and entertaining to get a dose of Italian romance. They are super generous with the compliments, which Eva and I just find funny, lol. I'm only an hour away from where they live this week, so I may have a chance to meet up with Guerino again. We'll see. So that's what's new. Probably no internet this week, fyi.

Let me know how things are at home! Miss you guys lots!
Hugs to everyone,
Love Melissa

No comments: