Sunday, July 6, 2008

Salerno this week

Hello everyone!
Sorry I've been out of touch! This past week I was still in Sicily but this time working as a counselor in an overnight camp so the hours were insane. We would wake the kids up at 7:30 am and had to make sure they were safe in their rooms after midnight. We were literally on our feet with the kids for 17 hours a day. Needless to say it was pretty exhausting and I haven't had a chance to find any internet.

On the plus side I got to teach yoga every day to some of the kids which was a lot of fun. They thought it was a little goofy but I think they enjoyed it. I tried to make it fun by doing the craziest poses I could think of, but as I was teaching, I realized how effective it is for learning body parts and prepositions. Cool! My lessons group was pretty well behaved but it was still a shock after the group I'd had for the first two weeks. I went from 4 girls and 2 boys ages 7-10 to a group of 7 boys and 2 girls ages 10-13. my approach had to change entirely which was a bit rough but in the end it was fun.

Last saturday four of us went to Taormina, a beautiful ancient town on a hill overlooking the sea. The main attraction is a 3rd century BC Greek theater with fantastic views of the ocean and Mt Etna. I also had a chance to try granita which is what American "
Italian ice" is based on.

My birthday on Wednesday was nice. The kids all sang to me (in English of course!) and we had chocolate pudding for dessert instead of our usual plate of fruit. I was able to have a couple of hours off in the afternoon to nap and relax by the pool. Then in the evening some of my favorite girls presented me with happy birthday posters. This is the first chance I've had to check my email in more than a weeks, so I'm just getting birthday messages now. Thank you so much for all your happy wishes!

Because last week was so exhausting, I've opted to take a week off this coming week. The organization has an apartment in Castello San Giorgio which is outside of Salerno, not far from Pompeii and Capri. Counselors get to stay there for free, and I'm traveling with 2 of the people I worked with this last week, Chad and Eva. I had the option of working a second week of overnight camp and then taking a break, but actually this works out better because the end of July and the first week of August there's generally no work to go around (because all the Italians are on vacation!). This way I'll have a week off, then be able to work a bit more before a second break at that time (Agustina let me know what your plans are!!!).

So things are good - I'm working hard but having a wonderful time. I hope everyone is well. Miss you guys!
Love Mia

No comments: